Friday, 16 September 2016

Three Letters by MAMATA SARDA

THREE LETTERS
I Miss You
                                                                                                                        15-7 2012
My dear Son , 
 No work to do  on Sunday evening ,. It’s raining outside. 
 Had coffee  in evening,  papa having slight cough and headache so taking rest .
Just thinking about your future ( u know what do I mean ) and then going back to past…to  your childhood days
 You say u don't have any good memories of past but we do , specially your father, have many . He says as a child he loved u much much more  and used to take u to every park in the town  on every Sunday ……but the way every person shows his love keeps on varying .. his too much of love turned in to over protectiveness and  I suppose  my concern for your well being circled around in making you bright student.   
           Our financial conditions did not allow us to pampering but see the brighter side.. that made you quite a sensible person and if u compare yourself with others    you are too good in all respects ( like far far  far away from spoiled brats)
                       Regarding wasting your time in unnecessarily  studying and studying without any fun .. I agree u should have enjoyed a bit more .. but still u are today what u are only because of your academic sincerity  and performance .U  may think scoring marks in athwale was useless    but that was the process of moulding and shaping your intelligence and that is why u studied in and topped Georgia Tech   . Now its time to enjoy the fruits of hardwork u have put in to achieve what u  wanted. But as I have said earlier  always be grounded and be good to others. 
 That's enough for today  
                            How is your life going on in USA ?. Are you happy ? Be cheerful , share your feelings with someone .. if no one then  I am always there for u..
                                                                                                                           .. mummy  
  

Dear Amitabh Bachchan
                                                                                                                 20 - 5 - 2013


Dear Amitabh Bachchan,
My son is such a huge fan of yours that he was hesitant to go to USA to take admission in Georgia Tech University as it would mean putting an end to his dream to participate in KBC.
Now having finished his studies ,I reminded him, “come home , KBC is still going on , Don’t you want to meet the legendary man Amitabh Bachchan? “
Waving in air and laughing carelessly he says, “Here it’s heaven mom. What’s there apart from Amitabh Bachchan“

Dear Amitabh sir,  he is such a huge fan of yours that he would definitely come back , come to homeland , come to me only if you call him.
I want you to tell him “ if a neighboring  aunty is too beautiful , would a child love that aunty more than his mother ?
What if you are enjoying all the luxuries there in USA , it’s just like a luxurious hotel without your dear ones and how long one can be happy in a hotel..one’s real happiness is at his home .. however small it may be . “
How I wish I come to the sets of KBC and when you ask “ Mataji , aapki   kya ichcha hai ? “.. without wasting a moment I would wish , “Bas , US se dekh rahe mere bête ko Hi kar dijiye aur kahiye “bête , ghar aa jao , hum sab aapka intajar kar rahe hai . “ Bas aapse mere bête tak yaha sandesh pahoche isiliye mai yaha aai. “

Dear  Amitabh sir, my son is such a huge fan of yours , I am sure , he will definitely obey you and come back .
                                                                                                                                            A mother

Where Mind Is Without Fear
                                                                                                                                            15- 3- 2016
My Dear Son ,
How are you ? We are fine here .  The span of six years you being away appears long , though you visited us every year.   I vividly remember those days of your arrival when I kept looking at the door from where you would appear and hug me & also  everytime  you left , how I wished to hold you close & not let you go.
         Son , ..now I think …  your decision of going to USA was not only practical but also a wise one. .but  now a days..many times .. you talk about returning to India.
But .. my son ….wait a while….hold back for now . come to India only when India awakes to become a place where
Where mind is without fear
At this moment just something is not right and all is not well… Let … let when I heard  a  Banglore news of a 4 year old daughter of a software professional ( like you )  falling in an open drain and dying , I shivered as face of our khusboo flashed in front of my eyes.
Here , my son .. children fall in pits regularly . Frequently kids are attacked by stray dogs ...... unfortunate but true.
No one is bothered about such issues even if human life is at stake  but they do bother about what you eat and what you wear .. as now they feel  culture and religion is at stake..
 So my son … come to India only when it becomes a place
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection and safety.
      In our house many times we don’t have water for a week . Frequency of water shut down notices is increasing. Do you know ..in Marathwada ..water is supplied only twice a month?

If this is not enough , you don’t get pure air to breathe in cities like Banglore and Delhi. Instead of acting on factories and other pollutant sources they ask common man not to drive on particular days . It is always the common man who has to bear the brunt . Instead of acting on criminals , they choose the softest target “common man” … “the mango man “
Once I thought , we the common man lack courage . We must exercise our right to demand our rights. So I went to university office like a brave lioness to   demand your degree certificate ( we were not getting it even after three years of declaration of results and your career was at stake for the want of degree certificate). Do you remember what did they  say, “You can not get the certificate as our printing machine is out of order .” How funny ! I became furious , I quarreled , I argued but I was attacked back . I had to return like a wounded sparrow with bleeding heart.
        Such is the plight of common man .Whenever  someone raises his voice ,a “Mr Nobody” comes and kills that voice . You know well who were Dabholkar , Pansare, Manjunath , Styendre Dubey …..

 Despite this a ripe mango man decided to unite all common men . Hopes were raised and he was hailed as “……aandhi……aaj ka Gandhi ……..”. But what happened ? . They put all mangoes in mixer including that ripe mango ….. squeezed….. prepared mango shake … and … gulped down……….now seating on chairs …….moving their hands on  … mango shake filled tummies.
   So my son … here … unlike in your US …common man has no rights…, he has only taxes to pay and only rules to follow .
                 
             The common man  can only  keep wondering about, rules, law, justice ….as the law  can not find … “who was driving the car ? “  ;  … as they say …”No one killed Jessica……” ;  as offenders flee the country duping the whole country of crores of rupees and police keep on beating the bush ( common man )
           
But in general ,there is no denying of the fact that crime is increasing because many a times , it turns out that  ….protectors are predators … law is twisted ….and ….courts are helpless.
                                        So my son …. Hold back …. Come only when ..India becomes a place where
Where mind is without fear
Where words come out from the depth of truth
Where tireless striving stretches its
Arms towards perfection
Where clear stream of reason has
Not lost its way .
                                     ( for now stream of reasons for Vyapam , Herald , Ishrat has lost its way . )
  My son… looking at the ongoing protests for reservations , I don’t think any seat will be left for our Khushboo if you come back . ……….I still remember your face seething in anger as you were denied the seat in a college being open caste .and the same seat was snatched away by your wealthy friend who scored 20 marks less than you but had his particular caste in his armour.
    So my son … come back only when ….the day arises when your credibility not the caste becomes stepping stone to your success. Come back when India awakes to become a place
Where people forget low caste …high caste…but recognize only one caste …..caste of humanity.
Where the mind is without fear
And the head is held high
Where knowledge is free…….( free  of caste if not cost )
Not only caste but issues relating to religion are also making our environment turbulent . For so many years , I had a strong belief ( still it is ) … that 99.99% Indians have nothing to do with Hindu-Muslim issue. The simple people do not want to make their  complex lives more complicated by adding hindu-muslim problem  to already existing long list of routine problems. There are numerous examples of Hindu-Muslims happily coexisting and helping each other..
    But  suddenly those remaining 0.01 % of Indians (?) are raising their voice so loudly that they make it appear that it is the voice of many.
                     If someone comments something ,….earlier ,..eyebrows used to be raised ….
                                …now…a..days …my son daggers are drawn ….
All this makes us uneasy ..we can’t relax peacefully inside our homes as loudspeakers outside are spewing venom.
     So my son…. Hold back …let this uneasiness  receed…..come back only  when India awakes to become a place        
Where the world has not been
Broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls

I pray .. Oh God ..make my India a place
Where I want  my son to return
Where mind is led forward by thee
Into ever –widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom
My Father
Let my country awake



                                                                                                                       MAMTA

               Poem courtesy : Where mind is without fear by Rabindranath Tagore


No comments:

Post a Comment